It’s the justification we’ve all been waiting for, mini breaks are scientifically proven to be good for you. What are you waiting for? Grab your overnight bag, pick up your pals and head for the hills. If this isn’t a reason to crack open the Prosecco then we don’t know what is.
If life seems increasingly hectic and you feel like taking a break from the stresses and challenges of everyday life, then you can now go ahead and book a relaxing break in the full knowledge that those clever psychologists at Harvard have given it the thumbs up. What’s more, It’s now believed by some researchers that people who use their holiday allowance in small bursts (rather than all in one go) are often happier, healthier and less prone to depression.
The logic is pretty simple when you break it down:
- On a long vacation, day seven is less good than day one because it's not as exciting. We develop destination fatigue and our enjoyment reduces as we become accustomed to a holiday lifestyle.
- Planning a long vacation is more complex and stressful where as the logistics of a mini break are simple!
- You can be more spontaneous, and since you don’t have time to travel too far from home, you can drive to your destination instead of having to worry about arranging complex travel arrangements
- No long flights, means no jet lag!
- Some experts also believe short breaks are a bonus for the over-worked among us as we don’t have chance to get worry about the crammed inbox and the mounting jobs waiting for us we return.
Scientists from the Icahn School of Medicine, University of California and Harvard found that stretching a stay to six days can trigger effects which actually boost the immune system. And here’s a bit more science to back-up the theory we’ve always believed in - partying with your pals and snuggling up with your loved ones is crucial! According to a 2016 study, spending time with friends or cuddling up with loved ones boosts the production of oxytocin, (we love this bit!) which is often called the “love” or “cuddle” hormone.
Call us old softies, but we think what the world needs right now is a lot more cuddle hormone, so let’s get packing!
To see the best deals in town at the moment click here www.reallakedistrict.co.uk/hotels.aspx
Or download our app for little treats on the go!